Mustang 10.5" V8 King Cobra Clutch Kit (1986-2001) Installation Instructions
1. To start installing your Mustang CJ Pony Parts 10.5" King Cobra Style Clutch Kit
, put all four wheels up on jack stands. Disconnect your negative battery cable. Remove your shifter boot retainer from inside the car. Then remove your shifter by removing the four bolts that hold it to your transmission.
2. From under your car, remove the four bolts that hold the driveshaft to the rear axle.
3. Once all bolts are removed, slide your Mustang driveshaft
towards the rear and remove it.
4. Next, remove your Mustang H-Pipe
or Mustang X-Pipe
by unbolting the eight bolts that connect it to the headers and exhaust. Disconnect all oxygen sensors and remove your mid pipe.
7. Remove the transmission crossmember by unbolting each bolt on the each end of the crossmember. Be sure to support the rear of your transmission before you completely remove the crossmember.
8. Disconnect the back up light by pulling it off the sensor.
9. Remove the speed sensor by removing the one bolt and pulling it out.
10. Remove the clutch cable dust shield by unbolting the one the bolt.
11. Push and slide the Mustang clutch cable
out of the transmission so it is free hanging and not connected to anything.
12. Remove any push pins that hold the harness to the transmission and let the harness hang off to the side.
13. Unbolt your Mustang starter
by removing the three bolts holding it to your transmission. With your transmission supported, remove the seven bolts that hold the transmission to the engine. There are two bolts on the passenger side, three bolts on the driver side and two bolts on the top. To reach the top bolts, allow your engine and transmission to sag down a little and use a swivel socket. Once all bolts are out, slide the transmission straight back until its out of the pilot bearing, then lower it down.
14. Now remove your Mustang flywheel
by unbolting the six bolts that hold it to your engine. You will need to wedge something like a flat head against your flywheel to stop it from spinning as you unbolt it.
15. Before you install your Mustang clutch kit
, you may or may not want to replace your pilot bearing
at this time. If you do, you will need a special pilot bearing removal tool that can be rented from your local auto parts store. Re-install your new pilot bearing by lightly hammering it back into place.
16. Install your new flywheel by reinstalling the six Mustang flywheel bolts
you removed earlier. Be sure to use loctite on these bolts. Also, make sure to install the three dowel pins on your flywheel by hammering them on. These are used to line up your clutch.
17. Place your clutch disc and pressure plate onto your Mustang flywheel
. Use your alignment tool to hold the clutch in place as you line it up with the bolts on the flywheel.
18. Be sure the clutch goes through all three dowel pins on the flywheel and everything is aligned before you tighten it completely.
19. Now you can reinstall your transmission. Lift up your transmission and slide it into place. It should go in smoothly, so do not force it. Now, reinstall the three bolts that were removed earlier.
22. Attach the clutch cable dust shield with the bolt removed earlier.
23. Connect the vehicle speed sensor with the bolt removed prior.
24. Reinstall the Mustang transmission crossmember
into place with the same two bolts as before, then install your transmission mount to your crossmember with two more bolts.
25. Slide your driveshaft back into its place in your transmission and then reinstall the four bolts that were removed earlier.
26. Reconnect the mid pipe to your Mustang headers
and exhaust with the eight bolts you removed. At this point, reconnect everything on your harness by plugging it back in. This includes all your oxygen sensors and back up switch.
27. Now, from inside your car, reinstall your Mustang shifter
with the four bolts that were removed before.
28. Reinstall your boot retainer and slide your shifter bezel over the shifter. Screw on your shift knob.
29. Your installation is now complete! Start your car and take it for a drive to ensure everything is working properly. Try not to beat on your transmission for at least 500 miles to properly break in your clutch. Enjoy your new Mustang 10.5" King Cobra Style Clutch Kit