Mustang Headlight Switch (1965-1968) Installation Instructions
1965-1968 Mustang Headlight Switch
This Headlight Switch fits every 1965-1968 Mustang.
This Mustang Headlight Switch fits cars built after November 16, 1964. The switch carries a lot of current, especially on modified Mustangs with halogen headlights and, with time, the wires can corrode and age, causing your headlights to flicker or cycle on and off to prevent the switch from overheating. This requires immediate replacement.
1. Before beginning to install your new Mustang Headlight Switch
, take a look at where the wiring harness attaches to the front of the switch. The spacer to the right may be integrated, like this one is, or be a separate piece.
2. The back side of the switch has a small button, which is used to release the knob and shaft.
3. To start the installation, first remove the negative terminal from the Mustang battery
. Then, turn the headlight switch all the way counterclockwise.
5. Use a large, flat head screw driver to unscrew the Mustang headlight switch retainer
. This will release the switch. Disconnect and remove the wires from the switch.
6. Here is an enlarged view of the knob, shaft, switch retainer, bezel and the switch itself.
7. I elected to test my Mustang headlights
before putting the switch back in the dash. To do this, I reconnected the battery, checked the switch and then disconnected the battery again.
8. With the wires connected, assemble in reverse order. Install the Mustang headlight switch bezel
and switch retainer, then re-tighten with the screwdriver.
9. Push the knob and shaft in until it clicks and is secure. Test it to be sure it is seated fully, then you're finished installing your new Mustang Headlight Switch