Mustang KYB Adjustable Shock & Strut Kit (1994-2004) Installation Instructions
1. To get started installing your new Mustang KYB Adjustable Shock and Strut Kit
, open the trunk and remove each of the two side trunk liners by popping them out of the place. This will reveal your rear shock towers.
2. Remove the nut on the top of each Mustang shock
. I found it easiest to use a wrench to remove the nut, while using a vise grip to keep the shock from spinning.
3. Once the top nut is removed, jack up the rear of the car and remove the bottom nut. To do this, hold one end of the nut in place with a wrench, then use a ratchet on the other end to remove it. Do this for each side. After the bolt is removed, slide the old shock out from the underside of your Mustang.
4. Slide the new Mustang KYB shocks
into place. Start by tightening the nut on the top of the shocks. Just like you did when removing them, use a wrench and vise grips.
5. Then, from underneath, slide the bolt through each of the shocks and tighten the nut completely with a wrench on one end and ratchet on the other. Reinstall your trunk panels, then the rear shock install is complete. Now to move on to the front struts to complete the installation of the KYB
6. Open the hood and locate your strut towers. Remove the center nut on each Mustang strut
first. This can be done quickly with a impact gun, or with a wrench and flat head screw driver.
7. Raise the front of the car with a jack and locate the two nuts that hold your struts to the spindles. Remove the top nut that holds the ABS bracket to the struts, then move it out of the way so you can access to the two nuts on the strut. Using a ratchet and a wrench, remove those two nuts. Be sure to support your calipers and rotors before completely removing the nuts. Then slide the struts out from the bottom.
8. Put the new Mustang KYB struts
into place and start the nut on top before installing the bottom bolts. Tighten those two bottom bolts with your ratchet and wrench, then reinstall the ABS bracket bolt on each side.
9. Finally, tighten down the top nut completely, using either an impact gun, if available, or a wrench.
10. The installation of your Mustang KYB Adjustable Shock and Strut Kit
is now complete. Take your car for a test drive and to make sure everything feels good. You can adjust the settings on the shocks and struts at any time to your liking.