Total Control Products Power Rack And Pinion Conversion for all 1971, 1972 and 1973 Mustangs.
Total Control Products designed this high-quality rack and pinion for your 1971-1973 Mustang to maintain correct steering geometry while providing a positive, direct steering feel that OEM units cannot provide. With the use of quick ratio, straight-cut gears this rack and pinion achieves a three turn lock-to-lock for quicker steering control and response. Standard OEM systems typically require 4-5 turns from lock-to-lock. The Total Control Products power rack and pinion reuses factory mounting points wherever possible as well as a mixture of mounting brackets and centerlinks to adapt to your classic Mustang and simplify installation. The mounting brackets and centerlinks are engine size specific to take into account for oil pan clearance depending on the varying height of the rack. After installation, the straight steel tubing of the rack replaces the factory crossmember, adding more support and strength over the original tubular crossmember design.
Six key features are essential when it comes to a successful rack and pinion conversion. TCP has the only available system on today's market that meets and exceeds each of these six mandatory features, meaning you'll have the most superior rack and pinion system right there on your classic pony!
Tires must turn as far as the factory system.
- TCP’s rack and pinion duplicates the factory travel of 6-3/8”, where typical OEM manufactured rack and pinions only have 5-1/2” of travel.
Steering column must provide adequate header clearance.
- Total Controls rack and pinion offers the most clearance for the installation of aftermarket headers and exhaust for classic Fords by keeping the steering shaft and universal joints close to the frame rail.
Correct Steering Geometry must be maintained.
- Incorrect steering geometry can lead to “Ackerman” problems and “bump steer”. Both of which can lead to excessive tire wear and a decrease in handling performance. This rack allows for exact duplication of stock inner tie rod positions to maintain correct geometry.
Installation must not decrease ground clearance.
- This Total Control Products rack and pinion maximizes ground clearance by replacing the factory crossmember behind the oil pan.
Frame stiffening crossmember is required.
- Stronger in both compression and torsion compared to the factory crossmember, the steel tubing of the rack has a 20% larger diameter than the factory brace of which it replaces.
System must allow for comfortable road feel.
- With its simple and efficient design, this TCP rack and pinion offers superior road feel and steering that can’t be matched. The main key to this superb steering feel is the use of straight-cut gears. Straight cut gears drive the rack gear in the desired direction, as opposed to OEM helical gears that slide across multiple contact surface that cause increased friction and wear.
*Installation of this rack and pinion system will require cutting and welding.
Total Control, a partnered manufacturer of CJ Pony Parts, now has a full selection of their premium quality equipment available below. Total Control is an industry leading manufacturer of safety and steering assembly equipment for a wide range of Mustang years and models. They supply Mustang owners with a variety of products, ranging from bumpsteer kits, shock tower braces and coilover packages, to engine mounts, subframe connectors, driveshaft safety loops and suspension kits.
Order this Total Control Products TCP RCKP397 Power Rack And Pinion Conversion for your 1971, 1972 or 1973 Mustang today from CJ Pony Parts!
Similar Mustang PartsMore Rack & Pinions
Product ReviewsWrite a review
You Might Also Like
CJ's Low Price:$2,729.00