Total Control Products Power Rack and Pinion Conversion for 1965-1966 Mustangs with a Small Block Engine.
Update and improve the steering on your classic 1965-1966 Mustang with a Power Rack and Pinion Conversion TCP RCKP121 from Total Control Products! Available at CJ Pony Parts this rack and pinion greatly improves the steering geometry, steering feel and many other aspects of your Mustangs steering system.
This high performance rack and pinion from Total Control Products allows correct steering geometry and positive, direct steering feel for your classic Mustang that you cannot obtain with OEM units. To achieve a three turn lock-to-lock, Total Control utilizes quick ratio, straight-cut gears. This provides a quicker steering response compared to the 4-5 turns on a standard OEM steering system. To simplify the installation of the rack, factory mounting is used whenever possible along with a mixture of mounting brackets and centerlinks that help adapt to your 65-66 Mustang. The mounting brackets and centerlinks are engine size specific to take into account for oil pan clearance depending on the varying height of the rack. After installation, the straight steel tubing of the rack replaces the factory crossmember, adding more support and strength over the original tubular crossmember design.
When it comes to a successful rack and pinion conversion, there are six key features that are mandatory. Total Control Products has the only system on the market that nails all six of these features to bring you the most superior rack and pinion system.
Tires must turn as far as the factory system.
- TCP’s rack and pinion duplicates the factory travel of 6-3/8”, where typical OEM manufactured rack and pinions only have 5-1/2” of travel.
Steering column must provide adequate header clearance.
- Total Controls rack and pinion offers the most clearance for the installation of aftermarket headers and exhaust for classic Fords by keeping the steering shaft and universal joints close to the frame rail.
Correct Steering Geometry must be maintained.
- Incorrect steering geometry can lead to “Ackerman” problems and “bump steer”. Both of which can lead to excessive tire wear and a decrease in handling performance. This rack allows for exact duplication of stock inner tie rod positions to maintain correct geometry.
Installation must not decrease ground clearance.
- This Total Control Products rack and pinion maximizes ground clearance by replacing the factory crossmember behind the oil pan.
Frame stiffening crossmember is required.
- Stronger in both compression and torsion compared to the factory crossmember, the steel tubing of the rack has a 20% larger diameter than the factory brace of which it replaces.
System must allow for comfortable road feel.
- With its simple and efficient design, this TCP rack and pinion offers superior road feel and steering that can’t be matched. The main key to this superb steering feel is the use of straight-cut gears. Straight cut gears drive the rack gear in the desired direction, as opposed to OEM helical gears that slide across multiple contact surface that cause increased friction and wear.
Please Note: Installation of the rack and pinion on 64-66 Mustangs will require V8 spindles and tie-rod assemblies.
*Mustangs equipped with the 351 Cleveland engine will require installation of the big block power rack and pinion conversion.
Total Control, a partnered manufacturer of CJ Pony Parts, now has a full selection of their premium quality equipment available below. Total Control is an industry leading manufacturer of safety and steering assembly equipment for a wide range of Mustang years and models. They supply Mustang owners with a variety of products, ranging from bumpsteer kits, shock tower braces and coilover packages, to engine mounts, subframe connectors, driveshaft safety loops and suspension kits.
Order this Total Control Products TCP RCKP121 Power Rack and Pinion Conversion for your 1965-1966 Mustang with a Small Block Engine from CJ Pony Parts today!
Similar Mustang PartsMore Rack & Pinions
Product ReviewsWrite a review
is this a direct bolt on kit, or does it require modification to the car?
Hello, I'm trying to be sure I get the correct tie-rod assemblies for my SB 1965 convertible, that will work with the TCP power rack. Please clarify. Thanks
You Might Also Like
/** * Cases for simple product that is not on sale */ ?>CJ's Low Price:$1,099.00
Total Control Products Power Steering Pro Integral Reservoir Serpentine Belt Kit 260/289/302 1965-1973/** * Cases for simple product that is not on sale */ ?>CJ's Low Price:$1,099.00
/** * Cases for simple product that is not on sale */ ?>CJ's Low Price:$410.99
From: /** Note: This is used for related configurable parts to properly display price w/o regular price */?>CJ's Low Price:$429.99
/** * Cases for simple product that is not on sale */ ?>CJ's Low Price:$249.00