1. The first step in the installation of your new Mustang BMR KM010H Tubular K-Member
is to loosen the lug nuts on the front wheels. Then, lift and support the car, and remove the front wheels.
2. Unbolt the power steering lines from the K-Member using an 8mm socket.
3. Unbolt the two power steering rack bolts using an 18mm socket.
4. Remove the tie rod end nuts with an 18mm deep socket and separate them from the Mustang Lower Control Arm/A-Arm
. The tie rod ends may need to be knocked out of the spindles to separate them from the A-Arm.
5. Remove the steering shaft bolt with a 13mm socket or wrench. It is advisable to make an alignment stripe on the shaft and coupler prior to disconnecting the shaft from the rack.
6. Remove the rear A-Arm nuts. The outboard nuts may be removed with a 21mm socket. The inboard nuts will require a 21mm wrench for removal so it will clear the fender liner.
8. Remove the A-Arm cross bolt and nut with 15mm and 18mm sockets or wrenches. Separate the Mustang ball joint
from the A-Arm. This will require knocking the ball joint out with force.
9. Remove the motor mount nuts with a 15mm socket.
10. Remove the four nuts common to the Mustang K-Member brace
, then remove the K-Member brace. This is done so the K-Member can be removed with the engine supported.
11. Support the Mustang engine
and the K-Member separately. Remove the four front nuts and the four rear bolts that attach the K-Member using an 18mm deep socket. Lower the K-Member and remove it.
12. Build up the Mustang motor mounts
on the new K-Member with a bushing on each side and the upper motor mount plates installed.
13. Loosely install the BMR
K-Member with the four nuts and four bolts that were previously removed. Loosely install the motor mount bolts, washers, bottom plates and nuts. The engine will be loosely attached at this point.
14. Tighten the four nuts and four bolts on the Mustang K-Member
to 85 ft./lbs. using the 18mm deep socket.
15. Tighten the motor mount bolts with a 9/16 inch socket and wrench. The engine support can now be removed.
16. Loosely install the front and rear A-Arm bolts, nuts, and washers. The rear bolts will use four spacers. Tighten the rear fasteners to 110 ft./lbs. using a 7/8 inch socket and 13/16 inch wrench. Tighten the front bolts to 100 ft./lbs. using a 22mm socket and wrench.
17. Put the ball joint back into the spindle and install the cross bolt and nut. Tighten with 15mm and 18mm sockets to 40 ft./lbs. Note that the alignment groove in the ball joint will properly locate it in the spindle.
18. Install the steering rack, making sure to get the steering shaft into the coupler on the rack. Use the remaining nuts, bolts and washers to attach the rack to the K-Member. Tighten with a 3/4 inch socket and wrench to 85 ft./lbs. Tighten the steering shaft cross bolt with a 13mm socket to 20 ft./lbs.
19. Secure the power steering line mounting bracket to the steering rack.
20. Put the Mustang wheels back on and torque to 100 ft./lbs.