These Hood Struts from Mustang Racing Technologies will fit 1979-1993 Mustangs.
Anyone who has ever done work on their 1979-1993 Mustang knows how annoying the factory hood prop can be. With these new Hood Struts from MRT, you can eliminate the factory hood prop, which will make working on your Mustang much easier! In addition, your Mustang will have a much cleaner appearance when the hood is up and will look much better at car shows. Order now.
1. To begin installing your new Mustang MRT 80C000-BLK Hood Strut Kit, lift your hood up and support it with the prop rod. Use a ratchet and a 5/16” socket to remove the passenger side fender bolt closest to the cowl.
2. Line up the fender bracket marked “RH” for right hand onto the Mustang fender so that the ball stud is facing the middle of the engine bay and the “RH” marking is facing down.
3. Push the bracket flush with the edge of the fender and reinstall the 5/16 inch Mustang fender bolt.
4. Remove the fender bolt on the driver side (closest to the cowl vent) and install the fender bracket marked “LH”.
5. Remove the 10mm hood hinge bolt on the driver side closest to the front of the Mustang hood using a ratchet and 10mm socket.
6. Install the hood bracket marked “LH” onto the Mustang hood hinge so that the marking is facing the hood and the ball stud is facing toward the fender using the 10mm hood hinge bolt.
7. Remove the 10mm hood hinge bolt and install the hood bracket marked “RH” so that the mark is facing the hood and the ball stud is facing the Mustang fender. Reinstall the 10mm hood hinge bolt.
8. Line up the strut with the passenger side so that the fat end of the strut is at the top. Push the socket on the bottom of the strut onto the ball stud located on the fender bracket.
9. Line up the socket on the top of the strut with the ball stud on the hood bracket. You may need to twist the fat end of the strut to accomplish this. You might also need to raise or lower the hood slightly to line them up as well.
10. Push the socket onto the ball stud.
11. Line up the socket on the skinny part of the other strut with the ball stud on the fender bracket for the driver side. Push the socket onto the stud.
12. Line up the socket on the fat end of the strut with the ball stud on the hood bracket. You may need to twist the strut and raise or lower the Mustang hood again. Push the socket onto the ball stud.
13. Your hood is now supported by the new Mustang Racing Technologies hood struts. Remove the stock hood prop rod by using a ratchet and a 15/16 inch socket.
14. Slowly lower the hood down and check the gaps between the hood and the fenders. Adjust hood hinges using the ratchet and 15/16 inch socket if necessary.