This Pro 5.0 Short Throw Shifter fits all 2005-2009 GT Mustangs with the Tremec 3650 Manual Transmission.
Upgrade the shifter in your 2005-2009 Mustang GT with this Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, yet retain your factory or custom shift knob. This shifter utilizes a high strength steel gear selector, handle and stop ring with a billet aluminum base. It will only fit Mustangs with a Tremec 3650 manual transmission.
1. The first step in any Mustang Pro 5.0 M2005 Short Throw Shifter install is to remove the factory piece. From inside the car use your finger or gently use a screwdriver to lift up the corner of the factory boot. It will pop up and then you can remove it from the console.
2. At this point you will spin the Mustang shift knob counter clockwise and remove the boot and shift knob from the factory shifter. Make sure you leave the car in neutral for later on.
3. Now it is time to work under the car. Unlike previous late model Mustangs, the Mustang shifter must be removed from underneath the car. When Ford changed the design of the dash they also relocated the shifter closer to the driver. To do so required a new shifter design that uses an arm supported by a leverage bar to reach the actual shift mechanism on the transmission. Once the car is safely supported by jack stands, or (if you are lucky) up on a lift, the first step is to remove the drive shaft. Simply remove the 2 visible 12-point sockets and spin the drive shaft to access the other 2. If it does not spin freely, check to make sure the car is in neutral.
4. Once the drive shaft is out of the way, you can see the factory stamped steel shifter. The first thing you want to remove is the nuts that hold the bracket in the back of the shifter. At this point the shifter will hang down a bit. Remove the black shifting rod from the transmission and push it to the side.
5. Now you will want to look towards the front of the shifter and you will see a bolt holding in the leverage bar for the shifter. Remove this bolt and the shifter will be able to be removed from the car.
6. Here you can see a comparison between the stock shifter and our Pro 5.0 Super Shifter. The Pro 5.0 piece is obviously much beefier in design and will not only hold up better, but will help the transmission live longer.
7. Now you want to slide the Pro 5.0 shifter in place of the stocker and re-attach it to the factory mounting locations. Start with the bolt for the leverage bar on the back of the transmission.
8. The next step is to put the back part of the Mustang shifter on the factory studs and bolt it down. Place the supplied brass bushings on the shifter rod itself, visible in the front of this picture, and re-install it on the Pro 5.0 shifter.
9. Your Mustang Pro 5.0 Short Throw Shifter install is now complete. It's typical of these shifters to be stiff when first used, but they will loosen up with normal use. Now all you have to do is lower the car down and install the stock shift knob and shift boot the same way you removed it above. Now you're ready to go bang some gears!