This Extended Gray Leaf Spring Shackle Kit from Scott Drake is for 1965 Mustangs with Dual Exhaust.
Scott Drake designed these Extended Leaf Spring Shackles to be longer than their standard models. Their GT dual exhaust design makes them much easier to install, while they're presented in a beautiful natural gray finish. Your 1965 Mustang will require two kits - one for each side.
2. Lower the rear end to relax the spring tension. Adjust the jack stand to ensure the Mustang spring has no tension. I found that the sweet spot was when the tire just began to touch the floor and the shackle began to move forward. (second notch on my stands)
3. The old shackle nuts faced in. This is the right side.
4. Remove the nuts and the shackle plate.
5. I used the breaker bar handle to pry the shackle out.
8. Place the top shackle half in, along with the nut on the inside of the Mustang frame rail. It will allow you to get the torque wrench on it later.
9. Now install the bottom half of the new Scott Drake kit.
10. Install the nuts and tighten them down.
11. This is where the deep socket comes in handy. This is the top inside nut view.
12. Move to the left side and repeat.
13. This picture shows the top nut on the inside of the drivers side Mustang shackle. I had to remove and reverse it to get the torque wrench on it later. So install it with the nut on the outside of the drivers side frame rail.
14. As you can see here, the torque wrench can not get between the Mustang fuel tank and the top shackle nut.
15. With it reversed now, the top nut is accessible as is the bottom nut.
16. This is an easy 45 minute project if you don’t have to reverse the shackle orientation. Be careful to chock the car and ensure the spring tension is relaxed before you remove the old shackles. After installing my new Scott Drake Extended Leaf Spring Shackle Kit, my new dual exhaust will clear better and the rear of the car will sit about an inch higher.