Tech Tips

1964-2009 Mustangs


Q: How long should the driveshaft be on an early model car with a T-5 Conversion?

A: Driveshaft should be 1" shorter.


Q: What headers work best on supercharged cars?

A: Long tubes.


Q: Which long tube headers fit best?



Q: Do you need a tach adapter on 96 and up Mustangs for an aftermarket tachometer?

A: 96-98 cars will not need a tach adapter. You can get tach signal from the brown wire with the yellow stripe located 8 pins from the right on the harness with the white plug behind your gauge cluster. 99+ cars will require a tach adapter.


Q: What wire will the tach adapter connect to?

A: #34 Red. On the corner of the plug.


Q: What rear end gears do you recommend for my Mustang?

A: For 5.0 Mustangs we recommend 3:55 for a mild street car, 3:73 for a street strip car, and 4:10s for a heavily drag raced car. For 4.6 GTs we recommend 3:73s for a mild street car, 4:10s for a street strip car, and 4:30s for a heavily drag raced car. For 4.6 96-01 Cobras we recommend 4:10s for a mild street car, 4:30s for a street strip car, and 4:56s for a heavily drag raced car. Please keep in mind you will need sticker tires to take full advantage of higher gear ratios.


Q: What is a good cam choice for a stock or lightly modified 302?

A: Stock - Ford Racing E Cam (M6250E303).

A: Lightly Modified - Ford Racing F Cam (M6250F303).


Q: What is the difference between a fox body T-5 and a 94-95 T-5?

A: The input shaft on a 94-95 is longer.


Q: Will my off-road H-Pipe pass emissions tests?

A: No. It won't pass visual or scan tests.


Q: What are the 2 extra wires for on a 68 turn signal switch?

A: They are for turning lamps. The switch also fits Cougars and Lincolns. Just tape them to the harness.


Q: The front parking lights on my 65-66 Mustang go off when I turn the headlights on. What is the problem?

A: That is normal. They are designed to work this way.


Q: My 4-Ways do not work. I replaced the flasher and the turn signals work, so the flasher isn't the problem. What is the problem?

A: There is a second flasher specifically for the 4-Ways that needs to be replaced. It is located at the back of the instrument cluster.


Q: I installed a new power steering control valve and the steering is cycling back and forth. What is the problem?

A: The lines from the control valve to the slave cylinder are reversed.


Q: Which blower motor do I need? I have a 1964-1966 Mustang.

A: 2 speed systems use the 3 wire motor (Part # - HMA1). They have a 3 position switch and there is no resistor block in the heater box.  3 speed systems use the 2 wire motor (Part # - HMA2). They have a 4 position switch and use a resistor block in the heater box.


Q: What sealer do I use between the gas tank and the body of the car?

A: 3M flexible strip caulk (Part # EW31050).


Q: Where do I install the 1969 rear spoiler?

A: There should be 7 3/4 inches from the front edge of the trunk lid to the front edge of the spoiler gasket. For the side, there should be 2 13/16 inches from the outer edge of the trunk lid to the side edge of the spoiler gasket.


Q: How do I remove or install the 64-66 Trunk Lock Cylinder?

A: You must first insert the key into the cylinder and turn the key 1/8 turn to the right. Depress the pin in the cylinder. This allows you to slide the cylinder in or out of the trunk lock sleeve.


Back to the Tech Articles

* Please be advised that this information is for suggestion only and is based on prior experience. We at CJ Pony Parts can not be held responsible or liable for any mistakes or injuries connected with the topics covered.