Mustang Door Glass Run Weatherstrip Pair (1965-1966) Installation Instructions
3. Remove the two screws retaining the pivot bracket. Then, remove the remaining washers and take note of the orientation of the metal one.
4. Drill out the rivet retaining the top seal; a 1/8 inch drill bit works.
5. From the open position, force the glass down, in the direction indicated, into the rubber weatherstrip, and dislodge the upper pivot point.
7. Remove the division bar weatherstrip by drilling out the four rivets. This time use a 3/32 inch bit.
8. Remove the vent window weatherstrip. It might be necessary to cautiously begin this removal with a scraper.
10. With the weatherstrip inserted in the channel, put one rivet in position from the front side of the weatherstrip.
11. One method to secure the rivets is to clamp a chisel or other suitable tool in a vise and position the rivet with the head against the chisel. Another option is the Mustang vent window rivet tool kit
, which will make the job much easier.
12. Close up of the rivet…
13. Use a punch to “mushroom” the rivet (not shown in position against chisel.)
14. Now use a steel drift to flatten the rivet and secure the weatherstrip to the Mustang door glass track run
. Repeat for the other three rivets. (not shown in position against chisel.)
15. The installed rivets will be covered by the door glass run, so it is only important that they are tight.
16. Loosen or remove the screw at the top of the division bar. The bottom is attached with rivets that are not included. It is NOT necessary to remove the rivets.
17. With the screw removed, you can gain extra room to begin installing the vent window weatherstrip.
19. The rubber tab on the division bar weatherstrip needs to be properly inserted into the vent window weatherstrip.
20. Continue inserting the vent window weatherstrip into the channel of the vent window assembly. A lubricant of soapy water may be helpful.
21. There is another rubber tab on the bottom of the division bar weatherstrip that must also be properly inserted into the vent window weatherstrip.
22. Use your fingers to make sure the weatherstrip is fully seated.
23. Now, reinstall the screw at the top of the division bar.
27. Reinstall the washers in the correct order.
28. Now, install the bracket.
29. Then, install the remaining washers and the spring. Tighten the nut so the glass moves freely, but is not loose.
31. Then, tap the glass run home with a rubber mallet.
32. Don’t forget to transfer the special bolt from the old glass run.
34. Use the method previously described to install the rivet. This time, I used a brass drift to reduce marring on the rivet head, since it is visible when the door is open.