Mustang V8 Clutch Cable (1982-1993) Installation Instructions
1982-1993 Mustang V8 Clutch Cable
This Clutch Cable fits 1982-1993 V8 Mustangs.
As your V8 Fox Body Mustang has gotten older, the clutch cable has gradually stretched out, which creates excess movement and can interfere with the clutch working properly. This OEM replacement clutch cable improves performance dramatically, and includes an inner cable and housing, each with appropriate ends, plus an attachment bracket. Installs easily in any 1982-1993 V8 Mustang.
1. To start the installation of your new Mustang Clutch Cable
, make sure the car is parked on a level surface. Use your jack and jack stands to raise all sides of the car, so you can safely work underneath and inside the car.
3. Pull the clutch cable back and over to disconnect it from the clutch fork. Then, push the cable through the hole in the Mustang bellhousing
. Pliers might be helpful for this.
4. The middle of the Mustang clutch cable
is attached to the frame of your Mustang. Unbolt the bracket that's attaching it and then pull the rest of the cable out from underneath the engine.
5. Next, you need to disconnect the clutch cable from the factory clutch quadrant. The stock, white plastic clutch quadrant is located above the gas pedal. You have the option to lower your steering column to gain additional access to the clutch quadrant. To lower your steering column, remove the steering wheel cover. This may require you to tilt the wheel. Remove the panels below the Mustang steering wheel
. These items are attached to the car with Phillips head screws, several 7mm or 8mm bolts and Torx. Using a 15mm socket, remove the four bolts required to drop the steering column. Once it's removed, it can rest on the seat. It isn't necessary to remove the hood release to drop the steering column.
6. If you reach up, you should feel the Mustang clutch quadrant end of the clutch cable. Pull down and out and it will release.
7. Remove the small bolt from the firewall. This will allow you to pull the clutch cable out through the firewall. It's now completely removed.
8. Now it's time to begin installing the new Mustang clutch cable
. Begin by pulling the new cable all the way through the sleeve at the quadrant end and feed it through the firewall. Make sure to re-hook it to the quadrant.
9. Slide the sleeve at the quadrant back up, then bolt the bracket back to the firewall. If you decided to lower your steering column earlier, you can now reassemble the steering column, steering wheel cover and the panels below.
11. Feed the cable through the hole in the bell housing and back to the clutch fork. Re-attach it to the clutch fork, then re-install the clutch fork cover.
12. Bolt the bracket in the middle of the cable back to the frame.
13. Many late model Fox body Mustangs have a self adjusting quadrant that came stock from the factory. To adjust the new cable, just depress the clutch pedal several times, until it becomes stiff. It might take 5-10 times. The installation of your new Mustang Clutch Cable