Mustang Interior Dye (1979-1993) Installation Instructions
1. To start freshening up your Mustang's interior with Mustang Interior Dye
and Lacquer, fill up your bucket with warm water and a small amount of dish soap. This will be used to clean off your console and lid. The reason we use dish soap is because the degreasers that it contains will release any cleaning products or oils that may be on your console.
2. While the dish soap dissolves and mixes, you can take the small amount of time required to disassemble your Mustang console
. To remove the lid from the console, pull out your console cup and remove the three Phillips head screws holding down the hinge. After the lid is removed, use your Phillip head screw driver to remove the additional six screws that hold the underside of the lid on.
3. At this point you can either put on non-powder gloves, or make sure that your hands stay as clean as possible during the rest of the process. The natural oils in your skin can easily transfer onto the console and can prevent the Mustang dyes
from wanting to adhere in a smooth and even coat.
4. Unfortunately, I did not have a scotchbrite pad but, instead, I found some medium steel wool so I opted to use that instead. I started with the lid, cleaning the lid of any grime that may have been on it or any oils from touching it. Once it is thoroughly washed, dry it off with a clean microfiber towel or compressed air, if accessible.
5. We’re going to start by spraying down both sides of the lid with the Mustang vinyl prep spray
. This is to help open up the pores of the vinyl to accept the dye.
After about a minute or so of letting the product work its way into the Mustang console pad
, wipe it down again with a microfiber towel or spray with compressed air.
6. We are now ready to paint. Starting with the bottom, you want to lay down 3-4 light coats of the dye, while waiting 3-5 minutes in between each coat. This allows the dye to tack some. Each coat was sprayed in a vertical pattern, followed by a horizontal pattern with the next coat, over the entire bottom of the lid. After your third or fourth coat, lay down a heavier “wet” coat and let dry for 30-40 minutes. The pictures show the progress over the coats.
7. After you lay down the wet coat, you can start prepping the console. The simple way for me to do this was to first pop out the coin holder. Since the console cup is already out, tape over the opening to it, as well as the small part of the console that isn’t covered by the console cup (personal preference).
8. To remove the leather parking brake boot (if equipped), use a 10mm socket and extension to remove the six nuts holding the boot in place. These should be hand tight, so you may not even need a ratchet.
9. Now wash the console in the same fashion that we washed the console lid earlier to prepare it for the Mustang dyes and paints
10. Dry off console with compressed air or a microfiber towel. Make sure that you get in all of the nooks and crannies.
11. Once completely dry from the washing, wipe down the console with some brake clean to ensure that it is clear of all grease, cleaners, and contaminants.
12. Now it’s time to lay down the first few coats of the Mustang lacquer
. The console will be sprayed in the same fashion as the lid. Do 3-4 light coats with 3-5 minutes in between each coat. The next few pictures highlight the progress after each coat.
13. Once the light coats are complete, it’s time to lay down a wet coat of the lacquer. This will be similar again to the console lid: The paint should be a little thicker in your coats, and allow 30-40 minutes for it to dry.
14. Now we can go back to the console lid. Here’s the underside now that has been dried for a good half hour or more.
Flip the lid over and repeat the process with the top of it. Feel free to use the vinyl prep again on the top if you believe it might have been contaminated while spraying the underside.
After a coat:
15. Once the console has dried for a half hour, I went back and focused attention back on that. As you can see, it still didn’t have very good coverage.
I put down another wet coat of Mustang lacquer
on both the console and the console lid since it was getting late and I could just let them dry overnight:
I wasn’t completely happy with the color so I put another coat on both the console and lid to lighten them up more.
16. Once dried, reassemble the components of your center console in the reverse order from how you took them apart. Install in your Mustang and enjoy your new Mustang Interior Dye
and Lacquer paint job!