Total Control Products Power Rack And Pinion Conversion Big Block 1967-1969
- Power Rack & Pinion Conversion
- Fits 1967-1969 Mustangs
- For Big Block Ford Engines
- Bolt On Installation
Total Control Products Power Rack and Pinion Conversion for 1967, 1968 and 1969 Mustangs with a Big Block Engine.
Is the stock steering system in your 1967-1969 Mustang with a big block engine just not quite cutting it anymore? It may be time to upgrade to a more efficient system. This Total Control Products Power Rack and Pinion Conversion TCP RCKP214 from CJ Pony Parts streamlines your steering system, allowing for more efficient steering control of your Mustang. It retains steering geometry and travel length, while increasing ground clearance and room for aftermarket headers and exhaust systems.
Total Control Products designed this high performance rack and pinion to maintain correct steering geometry while providing a positive, direct steering feel that OEM units cannot provide. With the use of quick ratio, straight-cut gears this rack and pinion achieves a three turn lock-to-lock for quicker steering control and response. Standard OEM systems typically require 4-5 turns from lock-to-lock. The Total Control Products power rack and pinion reuses factory mounting points wherever possible as well as a mixture of mounting brackets and centerlinks to adapt to your classic Mustang and simplify installation. The mounting brackets and centerlinks are engine size specific to take into account for oil pan clearance depending on the varying height of the rack. After installation, the straight steel tubing of the rack replaces the factory crossmember, adding more support and strength over the original tubular crossmember design.
Early 1967 Models: Column tube covers steering shaft completely or exposed shaft above rag joint is 3/4" diameter. Tilt and swing-away columns must upgrade to 1968 or later column.
Late 1967 Models: Exposed shaft above rag joint is 1" diameter.
When it comes to a successful rack and pinion conversion, there are six key features that are mandatory. Total Control Products has the only system on the market that nails all six of these features to bring you the most superior rack and pinion system.
Tires must turn as far as the factory system.
- TCP’s rack and pinion duplicates the factory travel of 6-3/8”, where typical OEM manufactured rack and pinions only have 5-1/2” of travel.
Steering column must provide adequate header clearance.
- Total Controls rack and pinion offers the most clearance for the installation of aftermarket headers and exhaust for classic Fords by keeping the steering shaft and universal joints close to the frame rail.
Correct Steering Geometry must be maintained.
- Incorrect steering geometry can lead to “Ackerman” problems and “bump steer”. Both of which can lead to excessive tire wear and a decrease in handling performance. This rack allows for exact duplication of stock inner tie rod positions to maintain correct geometry.
Installation must not decrease ground clearance.
- This Total Control Products rack and pinion maximizes ground clearance by replacing the factory crossmember behind the oil pan.
Frame stiffening crossmember is required.
- Stronger in both compression and torsion compared to the factory crossmember, the steel tubing of the rack has a 20% larger diameter than the factory brace of which it replaces.
System must allow for comfortable road feel.
- With its simple and efficient design, this TCP rack and pinion offers superior road feel and steering that can’t be matched. The main key to this superb steering feel is the use of straight-cut gears. Straight cut gears drive the rack gear in the desired direction, as opposed to OEM helical gears that slide across multiple contact surface that cause increased friction and wear.
Please Note: Mustangs equipped with the 351 Cleveland engine will require installation of the big block power rack and pinion conversion.
Total Control, a partnered manufacturer of CJ Pony Parts, now has a full selection of their premium quality equipment available below. Total Control is an industry leading manufacturer of safety and steering assembly equipment for a wide range of Mustang years and models. They supply Mustang owners with a variety of products, ranging from bumpsteer kits, shock tower braces and coilover packages, to engine mounts, subframe connectors, driveshaft safety loops and suspension kits.
Order this Total Control Products TCP RCKP214 Power Rack and Pinion Conversion for your 1967, 1968 or 1969 Mustang with a Big Block Engine from CJ Pony Parts today!
California Residents: Proposition 65 Warning
Advanced skill is required for this installation.