Mustang Deluxe Interior Door Panel (1967) Installation Instructions
1. To begin installing your new Mustang Deluxe Interior Door Panels
, remove the existing door handles and the door panel. To remove the door panel, just pull on it with your hands. It is only held in by clips.
2. On a nearby table or sawhorses, lay out one of the new door panels and the matching aluminum panel insert.
3. Flip the aluminum insert and door panel so that the back sides are up.
5. Insert the aluminum insert into the holes on the door panel. Take care to insure the tabs line up with the holes before you apply pressure to the aluminum insert.
6. Carefully turn over both pieces so that you are working on the backside.
7. Use needle nose pliers to pull the tabs all the way through to the back. Bend them over, making sure the insert is as tight as possible.
8. Locate the Mustang door panel clips
. Depending on the condition of the ones installed on the previous door panel, you may just want to purchase new ones.
9. Each of the 16 clips will need to be inserted into the pre-cut holes around the perimeter of the door panel. Take your flat head screw driver and pry a pocket for each clip's base to slide into.
10. Slide each of the clips into those pre-cut pockets. They will be very tough to insert, so just push them as far as you can by hand.
11. Since you won't likely be able to insert them all the way by hand, grab your carpenters hammer and a flat head screw driver. Use the screw driver and hammer to tap the clip all the way in.
12. Continue this process until all of the clips are installed. Once that is complete, move the Mustang door panel
to your car door and give it a test fit.
13. It's unlikely your clips will all line up on the first try. Take your time and try to move the clips around a little bit to fit the hole locations in your Mustang door shell
. If you have reproduction doors, you will likely need to drill some new holes. Locate any new holes that need to be drilled by using the clips to lightly scuff their location on the door.
14. As you can see, my reproduction door was way off with the bottom holes while the top holes aligned perfectly. If you are at the point where moving the clip around in the door panel still won't make it reach the hole in your car door, take your drill and carefully create a new hole for any non fitting clips.
15. Finally, line up your door panel's clips with all holes in your door and use your palm to force the door panel into place. You will likely have to give the door panel a couple medium sized palm slaps around the perimeter to seat all clips.
16. Follow the same procedure for the door panel installation on the other side of the car. Once you have reinstalled the door hardware on both sides, you have completed installing your new Mustang Deluxe Interior Door Panels