Mustang UPR Rear Control Arm Kit (1999-2004) Installation Instructions
3. Remove the ABS cable from the bracket by sliding it out between the two tangs.
4. Remove the sway bar mount bolts (2x13mm) on both sides of the vehicle; allow the ABS cable bracket to hang on the cable.
5. Place the jack under the rear lower shock mount point and jack it up to relieve the pressure on the lower shock mount bolt.
6. Remove the lower shock bolt (18mm nut, 15mm bolt head) and allow the rear end to sag by lowering the jack SLOWLY.
7. While the jack is lowering remove the Mustang coil spring
from the upper perch then remove them from the car. ALWAYS KEEP POSITIVE CONTROL OF THE SPRING SO IT WILL NOT SPRING OUT TOWARDS YOU UNEXPECTEDLY.
9. Place the jack under the lower shock mount and jack it up a little to relieve tension on the lower control arm rear bolt. Remove the bolt (21mm bolt head and nut).
10. Remove the jack and lower the rear end of the lower control arm.
11. Depending on your Mustang mufflers
, you may need to remove the 2x10mm bolts on the exhaust hangar beside the forward control arm bolt. I removed them for greater ease of access to the forward bolt head of the control arm.
12. Remove the forward bolt (21mm bolt head and nut).
13. Remove the lower control arm from the car.
14. Grease the inside bushing of the new control arm and grease the face of the Mustang polyurethane bushing
to increase the ease of install.
15. Grease the inside mount point as well for more ease of installation.
16. Install the forward bolt of the control arm first, then position the spring onto the lower perch with the lower spring isolator installed on the new control arm.
17. Place the jack under the rear of the Mustang 2002-09-99 control arm
and raise it until the holes line up in the rear axle tube and the spring is aligned in the upper spring perch. You can use another person to position the axle for you, or you can use your Phillips screwdriver to align the holes on one side while you stick the bolt in the other.
18. Tighten the forward bolt and the rear bolts and torque to 150 ft/lbs. Remove the jack and allow the rear axle to sag.
19. Loosen the forward upper control arm bolts (18mm bolt head and nut).
20. Remove the rear bolt in the upper control arm, then remove the forward bolt.
21. Remove the upper control arm from the car.
22. Grease inside of the new UPR
control arm where it will go over the bushing in the rear axle. Also grease the inside of the forward mount bushing along with the bushing face.
23. Grease the inside of the mount point for the upper control arm, and grease the bushing on rear axle.
24. Install the forward mount bolt in the upper control arm and finger-tighten the nut.
25. Position the jack under the center section of the Mustang rear axle
and raise the jack until the rear bolt for the upper control arm lines up. Install the bolt.
26. Tighten both bolts and torque to 150 ft/lbs.
28. Once all of the control arm bolts are tight, jack both of the shock mount brackets and install the lower shock bolts on both sides of the car.
29. Grab the ABS line bracket and your pliers, bend 90* tang on the bolt side back until the bracket fits flush against the lower control arm swaybar mount.
30. Install the Mustang sway bar
, sway bar bolts, and ABS brackets onto the lower control arm mounts and install all of the bolts on both sides loosely.
31. Tighten all of the sway bar bolts and torque to 100 ft/lbs.
32. If necessary, jack under the mufflers and re-install and tighten the exhaust hangar bracket bolts.
33. Re-install the wheels on the car and tighten with the emergency brake engaged.