Total Control Products Manual Rack And Pinion Conversion System 351C/390/427/428 1970
Total Control Products Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System for 1970 Mustangs with a 351C, 390, 427 or 428 Engine.
Are you looking to install a new rack and pinion system in your classic 1970 Mustang? Maybe you want a more modern and updated feel when you steer? No matter your reason, be sure to pick up this Total Control Products Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System that’s now available at CJ Pony Parts!
Features & Benefits:
- Direct Fit Manual Rack and Pinion System for 1970 351C/390/427/428 Mustangs with OEM Steering Column
- Complete Kit Contains Manual Rack and Pinion Unit, Steering Column Shaft and Universal Joints and Tie Rod Adapters
- Maintains Correct Steering Geometry While Providing Positive, Direct Steering Feel that OEM Units Can’t Provide
- Uses Quick Ratio, Straight-Cut Gears to Achieve 3-Turn Lock-to-Lock for Quicker Steering Control and Response (Standard OEM Systems Typically Require 4-5 Turns from Lock-to-Lock)
- Re-Uses Factory Mounting Points Where Possible and Mixture of Mounting Brackets and Centerlinks to Adapt to Classic Mustang and Simplify Installation
- Mounting Brackets and Centerlinks are Engine-Specific to Account for Oil Pan Clearance Depending on Varying Height of Rack
- After Installation, Straight Steel Tubing of Rack Replaces Factory Crossmember to Add More Support and Strength Over Original Tubular Crossmember Design
- Duplicates Factory Travel of 6-3/8": Typical OEM Manufactured Rack and Pinions Only Have 5-1/2" of Travel
- Adequate Header Clearance: Most Clearance for Installation of Aftermarket Headers and Exhaust for Classic Mustangs by Keeping Steering Shaft and U-Joints Close to Frame Rail
- Allows for Exact Duplication of Stock Inner Tie Rod Positions to Maintain Correct Steering Geometry: Helps Avoid “Ackerman” Problems and “Bump Steer” that Can Lead to Excessive Tire Wear and Decrease in Handling Performance
- Maximizes Ground Clearance by Replacing Factory Crossmember Behind Oil Pan
- Stronger in Compression and Torsion Compared to Factory Crossmember: Steel Tubing of Rack has 20% Larger Diameter than Factory Brace It Replaces
- Simple, Efficient Design Offers Superior Road Feel and Steering by Using Straight-Cut Gears that Drive Rack Gear in Desired Direction, as Opposed to OEM Helical Gears that Slide Across Multiple Contact Surfaces that Cause Increased Friction and Wear
This Total Control Products (TCP RCKM314) Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System is a direct fit replacement for any 1970 351C/390/427/428 Mustang with an OEM steering column. This is a complete kit that comes with a manual rack and pinion unit, a steering column shaft, universal joints and tie rod adapters. It’ll maintain the correct steering geometry while also providing a positive and direct steering feel that your OEM unit can’t provide. You’ll go from a 4-to-5-turn lock-to-lock to a 3-turn lock-to-lock after installation, and you’ll enjoy plenty of other benefits too!
Order a Total Control Products (TCP RCKM314) Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System for your 1970 Mustang with a 351C, 390, 427 or 428 Engine from CJ Pony Parts today!
California Residents: Proposition 65 Warning
Advanced skill is required for this installation.
This product will fit the following Mustang years: