Mustang BBK V8 In-Line Fuel Pump Kit (1986-1995) Installation Instructions
1. To start installing your new Mustang BBK 1602 In-Line Fuel Pump Kit
, remove your negative battery cable. Bleed any pressure from the schrader valve, which is located on the fuel line just behind the alternator.
2. Clear out the Mustang trunk area
. Remove spare tire and jack from the spare tire recess area.
3. Cut out the rectangle on the supplied template from BBK
. Place the cutout square over the spare tire hold-down and use a punch on the four marked “x”s. Drill four holes of 3/16 inch diameter on the marks. Also, drill a hole through the grommet, which is just above the hold-down.
5. Loosen the two bolts holding the Mustang fuel tank straps
and the 10mm bolts holding the filler neck to the body of the car.
6. Disconnect and remove the fuel line, which runs from the fuel pump to the Mustang fuel filter
. Replace this hose with the supplied 3 foot hose.
7. Tighten the 10mm bolts holding the filler neck and re-tighten the bolts for the fuel tank straps.
8. Slide the supplied rubber bushings with studs up through the 3/16 inch holes from the bottom of the car.
9. While one person holds the bushings, secure the bushings on the top side of the trunk with the nylock nuts and washers.
10. Place the rubber brackets onto the fuel pump. Align the fuel pump brackets with the studs on the bushings, which are now attached to the bottom of the car. Make sure the attached line on the Mustang fuel pump
is on the driver side of the car and the outlet hose is pointing towards the front of the car.
11. Fasten the brackets with a spacer and nylock nut on each stud. Connect the Mustang fuel line
from the tank to the inlet on the BBK fuel pump. Also connect the outlet of the pump to the fuel filter.
12. Take out the relay from the kit and use the supplied T-Tap to connect the yellow wire on the relay to the red/purple wire, which is located on the Mustang fuel harness
, to the lower right corner of the trunk.
13. Feed the short red wire on the relay through the hole in the grommet in the trunk. Use the ring terminal connector to connect the wire on the relay to the positive post on the Mustang fuel pump
14. Connect the long black wire in the kit to the negative post on the fuel pump using the other ring terminal connector. Connect this wire to a clean ground.
15. Connect the short black wire on the relay to a clean ground. You can mount the relay with a screw and use the screw for the ground.
16. Route the long red wire on the relay along the driver side of the car (preferably inside the plastic panels and the Mustang door sill plate
) up to the fuse box located on the lower left of the dash.
17. Remove the Mustang fuse box cover
and find a fuse location that gains power with the car off (the cigar lighter/horn fuse works good). Slide the supplied fuse tap on the fuse and reinsert the fuse. Connect the red wire with the fuse to the fuse tap using the male connector.
18. Connect the other end of the red wire with the fuse to the red wire which runs to the relay.
19. Inspect your work and make sure none of the wires are going to rub on any sharp edges. Also hide the wiring if you prefer.
20. Jack the car up, remove the jack stands, and lower the car. To finish up the installation of your new Mustang BBK In-Line Fuel Pump Kit
, just reconnect the battery and enjoy.