Total Control Products Manual Rack And Pinion Conversion System 260/289/302/351W 1965-1966
- Manual Rack & Pinion Conv.
- For 260,289,302 & 351W
- Requires V8 Spindles
- Quick Ratio Straight Cut Gears
Total Control Products Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System for 1965-1966 Mustangs with a 260, 289, 302 or 351W Engine.
If you’re looking for a way to get a more modern and updated steering feel in your 1965-1966 Mustang, then it’s time to pick up this Total Control Products Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System that’s now available at CJ Pony Parts!
Features & Benefits:
- Direct Fit Manual Rack and Pinion System for 1965-1966 260/289/302/351W Mustangs with OEM Steering Column
- Complete Kit Contains Manual Rack and Pinion Unit, Steering Column Shaft and Universal Joints and Tie Rod Adapters
- Maintains Correct Steering Geometry While Providing Positive, Direct Steering Feel that OEM Units Can’t Provide
- Uses Quick Ratio, Straight-Cut Gears to Achieve 3-Turn Lock-to-Lock for Quicker Steering Control and Response (Standard OEM Systems Typically Require 4-5 Turns from Lock-to-Lock)
- Re-Uses Factory Mounting Points Where Possible and Mixture of Mounting Brackets and Centerlinks to Adapt to Classic Mustang and Simplify Installation
- Mounting Brackets and Centerlinks are Engine-Specific to Account for Oil Pan Clearance Depending on Varying Height of Rack
- After Installation, Straight Steel Tubing of Rack Replaces Factory Crossmember to Add More Support and Strength Over Original Tubular Crossmember Design
- Duplicates Factory Travel of 6-3/8": Typical OEM Manufactured Rack and Pinions Only Have 5-1/2" of Travel
- Adequate Header Clearance: Most Clearance for Installation of Aftermarket Headers and Exhaust for Classic Mustangs by Keeping Steering Shaft and U-Joints Close to Frame Rail
- Allows for Exact Duplication of Stock Inner Tie Rod Positions to Maintain Correct Steering Geometry: Helps Avoid “Ackerman” Problems and “Bump Steer” that Can Lead to Excessive Tire Wear and Decrease in Handling Performance
- Maximizes Ground Clearance by Replacing Factory Crossmember Behind Oil Pan
- Stronger in Compression and Torsion Compared to Factory Crossmember: Steel Tubing of Rack has 20% Larger Diameter than Factory Brace It Replaces
- Simple, Efficient Design Offers Superior Road Feel and Steering by Using Straight-Cut Gears that Drive Rack Gear in Desired Direction, as Opposed to OEM Helical Gears that Slide Across Multiple Contact Surfaces that Cause Increased Friction and Wear
- Made in the USA
This Total Control Products (TCP RCKM121) Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System is a complete kit that comes with a manual rack and pinion unit, steering column shaft and U-joints and tie rod adapters. This kit is just what you need to maintain correct steering geometry while getting a more positive and direct steering feel that OEM units just can’t provide! This kit will re-use your factory mounting points wherever possible and a mix of mounting brackets and centerlinks to adapt to your classic Mustang and to simplify the installation process.
Tech Tip: Installation of the rack and pinion on 1965-1966 Mustangs will require V8 spindles and tie-rod assemblies.
Please Note: Hooker Super Competition long tube headers are NOT recommended for use with this Rack and Pinion Conversion. These headers will not clear the Rack and Pinion due to the longer length primary tubes and will cause fitment issues.
Order a Total Control Products (TCP RCKM121) Manual Rack and Pinion Conversion System for your 1965-1966 Mustang with a 260, 289, 302 or 351W Engine from CJ Pony Parts today!
California Residents: Proposition 65 Warning
Advanced skill is required for this installation.