1986 Mustang Transmission Parts
Next to the engine, there’s no part of your Mustang more important than its transmission. When your 1986 Mustang’s transmission needs repairs, trust the high-quality replacement parts offered by CJ Pony Parts. We carry what you need to keep your ride running its best, from complete assemblies to individual bell housings, flywheels and other components. Also available are conversion kits that include everything required to swap out your stock cable linkage for a hydraulic system — a popular upgrade that’s relatively easy to complete in a home garage. Find out more by browsing our current inventory below. You can also contact our team directly with any questions you might have. Call 1-800-888-6473, email or use our online chat feature today.
Showing 1-20 of 375 results
- 70-73 With 3-7/8 Yoke 87-93 Manual Transmission Univ. Jointgreasable 1970-1993$20.69 Regular Price $22.99
Showing 1-20 of 375 results
Transmission-Problem Warning SignsThe sooner you can identify an issue with your Mustang’s transmission, the easier the repair will be. Some warning signs commonly seen when a 1986 Mustang’s transmission is damaged include:
• Dragging clutch (manual) or slipping gears (auto): Transmission problems will likely first become evident in your Mustang’s responsiveness. When gear changes become difficult, it’s likely a sign repairs are necessary.
• Refusing to go into gear: Trouble getting your Mustang into gear can be a result of low fluid levels or problems with your shift cable, clutch linkage or other components.
• Grinding: Gear grinding or jerkiness is not just a sign of poor driving technique, it could also indicate damage if the problem is persistent.
• Leaking: Leaking transmission fluid is one of the most common visual cues that something is wrong. ATF fluid should be checked periodically on all automatic Mustangs — healthy fluid will be clear and bright red. Be on the lookout for burning smells, too.
Properly diagnosing a transmission problem can be difficult. Transmissions are an incredible complex system consisting of hundreds of moveable parts. That being said, a transmission overhaul or other repair is still within the ability of any experienced and properly equipped hobbyist mechanic. To learn more, visit our technical library, YouTube channel or Facebook page, where you’ll find detailed information and have the opportunity to connect with other Mustang owners.
Shop the Best Selection of 1986 Mustang Transmission Parts OnlineWhen you’re ready to begin your repair or restoration project, make CJ Pony Parts your exclusive supplier — and you’ll receive loyalty rewards with every dollar you spend. You’ll also benefit from free same-day shipping to anywhere in the contiguous United States, as well as exclusive access to sales and other promotions. Start your repair by shopping online today!
Not the year you are looking for? Check out these years: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, or 1993 for additional options.