The Top Ten teams in the NCAA are a lot like our favorite vehicles, equipped with different strengths and weaknesses. It’s what makes games nail biters, and what sparks tailgating debates that can last longer than the games. Much like those pregame debates, our assessments were based on historical data as well as a look ahead at what’s in store for the 2019-2020 season.
[click the infographic below]
Though we know some of these choices are going to be a little controversial, here’s more about why we selected the vehicle representations that we did.
- Alabama: Just like a Jeep, the Crimson Tide keeps rolling through obstacles and opponents, and they manage to look good doing it. While we appreciate their mascot choice of an elephant, we think the Cherokee Trackhawk preserves the feel of a stampede while also acknowledging their speed and agility.
- Clemson: The Tigers have proven that they’re like a supercar, nearly impossible to keep up with and so sleek they look like they’re barely breaking a sweat. They’ve got some serious competition this year though, and just like a supercar, if they start falling apart they’re difficult to fix.
- Florida: The Gators were some of the top contenders in the early 2000s, just like Nissan. Though they’ve certainly had some ups and downs since then, the GTR has remained an impressive contender that has people hopeful for what comes next.
- Georgia: A rough exterior and major off-roading capabilities make the Ford Raptor a huge comeback success, and the Bulldogs have followed in its footsteps, using their rough and tumble attitude to impress skeptics.
- LSU: Though they have a tiger for a mascot, we think the LSU team is best represented by a different cat: A Jaguar. Though there’s no denying the capabilities and style of a Jaguar, for the past few years they’ve been skating by on a name and reputation that they haven’t added to, yet. Will that change this year?
- Michigan: Previously we’d assessed Michigan as being like a convertible in a mid-life crisis. Thanks to some serious realignments, we’d say the Wolverines are more like the much anticipated 2021 Bronco. A classic hit preparing to make a major comeback.
- Notre Dame: Like the Fighting Irish, Porsche has developed a reputation for excellence and isn’t so mired in its own history that it has failed to keep up with the times. The Boxster is classic, yet modern, and nearly universally loved.
- Ohio State: The Bugatti Chiron is a high-performance icon, just like the Buckeyes, and while some may not adore the design, it’s impossible to mistake for anything else.
- Oklahoma: Much like the F-150, it’s hard to deny the popularity and appeal of the Sooners. While piece-meal it may be hard to determine what factors exactly keep them on top of the heap, looking at the whole package it’s clear why it works.
- Texas: Mercedes owners will always claim that the maintenance cost is worth it for the luxury and quality of the ride, and we certainly hope it pans out for them in this instance. The Longhorns have enough financial backing and fan support to stay near the top if nothing else.
CJ Pony Parts® is in no way affiliated with or sponsored by Clemson University, the University of Alabama, the University of Florida, the University of Georgia, the University of Michigan, Louisiana State University, the University of Notre Dame, Ohio State University, the University of Oklahoma, the University of Texas or the respective athletic departments. The opinions of the author(s) on this site are independent and no way reflect the opinions of any of the administrators, coaches, staff, or athletes.