Mustang Grant 15" Woodgrain Steering Wheel (1965-1969) Installation Instructions
1. Start the installation of your new Mustang Grant 15 inch Woodgrain Steering Wheel Kit
by disconnecting the battery. This keeps you from blowing the horn during removal of the stock steering wheel, and prevents arcing and sparking during installation of the new steering wheel.
2. Remove your factory Mustang horn pad assembly
by pushing it in and rotating it counter clockwise about 20 degrees. Be ready for the spring to pop out.
3. Loosen the 15/16 inch nut that holds the steering wheel to the Mustang steering column
. I used a loaner puller from the local parts store to remove the old wheel. Leave the nut on to keep the wheel from popping off.
4. Scribe the top of the steering shaft to note where the steering wheel is when the tires are pointing straight ahead. The new Grant Steering Wheel
hub has a TOP marker cast in it. Make sure that your mark and the marker on the steering wheel hub line up when you install the hub.
5. Install the hub, the column cap, then the Mustang steering wheel
using the 1/4 inch 28 bolts. Tighten the bolts loosely. Make sure the steering wheel is level and the wires come through at the 1 o’clock position. Tighten the 15/16 inch nut. You may also want to put some thread locker on the nut and shaft.
6. Remove the 1/4 inch 28 bolts and put the copper contact against the wheel. Then, put the rubber spacers on the copper contact. Make sure to line up the top plate notches so the wires and spades are accessible. Re-install the 1/4 inch 28 bolts and tighten them to spec. Connect the wires to the spades.
7. Push the horn center onto the top plate, making sure it is level with the wheel. This takes some pressure. Then, reconnect the battery. If the horn blows, check the rubber spacers between the copper bottom plate and the top plate. I had to put o-rings between the plates to keep the horn from “auto blowing” while on a bumpy road or while turning the wheel. You've just completed installing your new Mustang Woodgrain Steering Wheel Kit